Saturday, September 13, 2008

Chiefs Thoughts...A Week Late

I listened to the game last week on the radio, and I came away with some different conclusions than Matt. I am done with Croyle. I am tired of waiting for him to show just a little bit of progress. Now, I enjoyed the game through the filter of the smooth stylings of Mitch Holthus, Len Dawson and Art Haines, and I understand that Len Dawson does not respect any KC QB except Joe Montana (I think he grew to like Trent Green though) and takes any chance he can to criticize one. Croyle just sounded inept. I don't think it is too much to ask him in his second season to put together two to three TD drives in a game. I am not expecting Al Saunders - Trent Green - Priest Holmes numbers, but this team should be able to put 21 points on the board week in and week out.

Jamal Charles has got the stuff to make it big. He showed flashes of greatness. I think you will see his playing time increase and Larry Johnson's decrease as the year progresses.

As for the pass defense, the front four sounded like they can finally put some pressure on the QB. However, the run defense is weak. There were some large holes for Sammy Morris, which concerns me. The bright spot was Tamba Hali. He was all over the place make tackles. He is my player of the week.

The secondary and linebacker core I do not really have an opinion on yet. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Matt said...

"Jamal Charles has got the stuff to make it big. He showed flashes of greatness. I think you will see his playing time increase and Larry Johnson's decrease as the year progresses."

I completely agree with this, in fact I said the same thing in an email to a friend of mine. It really annoys me though. He holds out, we give him money and now he's done. No injury, etc., just no heart. I know I've said it over and over, but I wish we would have dumped him when we had the chance. Oh well.

I think we're stuck with Croyle this year. I just don't see it as sensible to go pick up anyone that's available right now. Simms is the only QB I see that fits into our system, bit he's already been there to work out and they apparently passed on him since they went with this alsoran from Tennessee.

I also don't think Tebow fits our system if he comes out next year, but he'd be more fun to watch probably.

Justin said...

The word is Stafford from Georgia is going to be the number one QB out of college this year. I have watched him play and I am not convinced. I am waiting for someone else to emerge.

Matt said...

I don't care who is playing QB and who is playing RB, if Cowher decides to come back and coach next year, we had better be all over him. All over him.